Monday, March 19, 2007









I'm getting to the point (I guess it’s a seasonal thing) where I would do a minor diet overhaul. Maybe I've been mindlessly eating too many carbs, even good ones. Maybe I haven’t been taking my supplements like I should or not eating enough veggies. Whatever the case, I like to take some time out to see how I can improve.

I realized that I would do better overall eating more raw foods. Not go raw vegan because I feel better consuming some animal protein and a modified traditional foods diet, but add more raw plant based foods to my diet. When I did this last year for a bit, my energy shot up and I lost a few pounds in a short period of time. Two books on the subject I recommend are:

Rawsome by Brigitte Mars
This book is great because Brigitte not only list recipes and techniques, tools and instructions, but you also get a very wide overview of plant-based foods and what they can do for the body - not your just basic nutritional information. I recommend this book even if you're not in strictly interested in a raw vegan diet.

RAWvolution by Matt Amsden
This book is mostly recipes, but it does give you some basic instructions in preparation and "equipment" you will need. I love this book is full of beautiful photographs of the food itself, where the previous book doesn’t have any. Sometimes it’s good to get an idea of what the food you’re preparing does look like – especially if you are new to raw food preparation.

Like I mentioned I don’t believe that a strict raw foods diet is best for me, but trying to get a large percentage of raw food in my diet isn’t unreasonable. Salads and celery sticks can easily get boring so this give me a way to have gourmet style plant-based meals, gluten and sugar free desserts, dairy and soy free smoothies and sprouted nuts and grains (better for digestion). A 100% raw vegan diet is very time consuming and can be pricy, especially with the equipment (fortunately I do have), but 2-3 new times a week wont hurt me. I'm not a raw expert by any means, but there are a ton of books on the subject and many more websites and blogs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you seen the book nourishing traditions by Mary Fallon? I think you would love it. I got it used on amazon for alot cheaper. Check it out there! I also need to add more raw-but not all raw. I need a good book with raw recipes and ideas.

Carla said...

NT is a great book. Amazon also have a lot of othe raw books, though I havent looked into them much. Of couse, I read all reviews before purchasing. If you've seen other books that are good, let me know!