Thursday, March 22, 2007

What do you think?

I am always curious as to what others think the cause of PCOS is. Now that I have a few readers, I hope to get some opinions .

Though I've known about PCOS since around 2000, I still know very little about the cause. I've read a few books, websites, magazine articles and it seems like all the information at best is based on theory. Here are my scattered thoughts as to what may cause PCOS; this is also based on what I read.
  • Genetic predispositions (both the mother and/or the father's side). For the time being (until I change my mind) I feel having a genetic predisposition plus one or more of the risk factors following below.
  • Family history of diabetes
  • Exposure to xenoestrogens as a fetus.
  • Pesticides
  • Hormones in food
  • Overuse of antibiotics
  • Refined sugars and flour/starches
  • Trans fats
  • Too much estrogen or "estrogen dominance"
  • Overweight (though it can certainly cause it)
  • Stress
  • Birth control pills
  • Depo Provera
I may add on to the list later as I think of more possible causes or risk factors.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Carla-have you tried agave nectar as a sweetener. It doesn't affect the glycemic levels and is safe for diabetics. I was reading that doctors think PCOS has something to do with insulin.

Unknown said...

Is there a way to sub to your blog? I have PCOS (have since puberty judging from my wierdo periods). I would love to come back later and read more and ask you questions. Thanks! Alison (Silvercrest79 on MDC also)

Carla said...

Hi Danielle,

I do use agave nectar and its quite good! I have a ton of it at home. Limiting processed and refined sugar is help with insulin resistance.

Carla said...

Hi Silvercrest - I'm not sure how to sub in Blogger yet besides using your own browser. Ill look into it!

Larine said...

I've been reading some stuff lately that links low birth weight to Type II diabetes later in life.

Carla said...

Hi Larine,

Do you have any links to share? That is interesting. Thanks!

Carla