Monday, April 02, 2007

Excercise and Insulin Resistance

Though this isn't new news, its important to reiterate the importance of exercise for insulin resistance.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010315/1159.html
In my personal life I can say exercise helped me a great deal in addition to diet. I cant do one without the other, but if I was forced to choose, it would have to be diet; because even though I have always been somewhat active, my PCOS symptoms (including ovulation and weight loss) didn't improve until I started cleaning up my diet. But exercise is like the thick icing on the cake. My blood pressure is always at a normal level, my blood sugar is stable, energy levels are up (most of the time) and I was able to change the shape of my body through weight training--though I can do more. It also help stabilize my appetite and sleep pattern.

Currently I track run, trail run, spin on my bike at home, Yoga (sometimes), hand weights and walk. I don't belong to a gym currently and I haven't for the past two years or so though I may join a Yoga studio. I am looking to improve what I do so I will keep posted on my progress.

No comments: