Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Raw

This week I am working on adding more raw foods to my diet. I've been more creative in terms of salads. I tend to get stuck in the same old, same old, salad rut and have been using my raw cookbooks to add a bit more variety.
I also made (raw) bread sticks, curry crackers, no bean hummus, marinara, soaked and dried nuts, raw organic strawberry pie, nut milks and spriluna smoothies in the mornings. Tonight I will make flax crackers for tomorrow. I feared a lot of this would be time consuming. But most of the prep work is relatively quick; comparable to other foods. Dehydrating time is a different story. It can take 24 hours to make crackers so planning ahead is key.

I still eat meat and eggs though I've cut back slightly. I still feel I need animal protein in my diet but not as much given raw foods are so filling.

I am also making an effort not to eat as much cooked oils. Raw, cold pressed oils - YES, but no fried or excessively heated oils. No oven fries or oven fried chicken, etc (SIGH). I have a grill pan and powerful fan/vent in the kitchen for the smoke so that is helpful.

This morning I had a spirluna smoothie with organic frozen blueberries and a little pressed apple juice. Snack was/is curry crackers and no bean hummus.For lunch I’m going to a raw foods restaurant because I didn’t really make a lunch last night for today. Tonight I will make chicken satay (its marinating at home), a large salad and a grain of some sort - maybe quinoa.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That all sounds great! I used to live in southern california and there were tons of raw and vegetarian/healthy places to eat. I miss that! I live in Maryland now....not so much! You are so motivated! I need to get it together!

Carla said...

Thanks Danielle! :)